Friday, June 26, 2009

eggplant ricotta salad

Marika came over earlier this week to watch the Bachelorette (our weekly guilty pleasure). I had been planning on making an eggplant salad that I'd read about in the latest issue of Cooking Light. But the weather was so nice when I got home from work, I decided to squeeze in a run before starting the salad. By the time I got back, I was running out of time. The salad from the recipe was kind of involved (I needed to roast a pepper, puree things in the food processor, etc.). 

Too involved, I decided. So instead, I started pulling things out of the fridge that I thought would be tasty with eggplant. Outside of cooking the eggplant, this salad came together in less than 5 minutes. It was healthy and tasty and I will definitely make it again.

Eggplant Ricotta Salad
Serves 2

1 small eggplant, diced
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
2 c. baby spinach
1 large heirloom tomato, chopped
1/2 c. ricotta cheese

Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add eggplant. Stir and cook, adding more olive oil as desired during the cooking process (I added probably 4 Tbsp. throughout the cooking time). Stir occasionally and continue to cook until the eggplant is tender and begins to brown (15-20 minutes).

Mix spinach with about 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar and 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Divide onto plates. Top with tomatoes and eggplant. Spoon ricotta over the top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts