Thursday, April 23, 2009

beet ketchup

I really want to like beets. As much as I try, it doesn't seem to be happening. But they keep appearing in the CSA box, so I've been attempting new and varied recipes to see if my taste for beets (or lack thereof) will change. I've tried them plain, roasted them with orange and cilantro, made salads of them with balsamic and feta.

Each time, they turn out beautiful.

But they still taste like beets.

Why do I want to like beets? Any produce colored that intensely purple has to be packed with nutrients. The Complete Guide to Nutritional Health confirms it - beets are highlighted as a superfood for the immune system - the beet's "unique mixture of minerals and phytochemicals resists infection, boosts cellular intake of oxygen, and treats disorders of the bood, liver, and immune system." Beets are nutritious, easy to digest, and a rich source of minerals. They contain vitamins A, B, C, iron, potassium, zinc, and a host of other good-for-the-body stuff. But I still don't like them.

Why in the world am I featuring a recipe on beets, then, you might ask? Through all of my failed attempts at enjoying beets, my most recent one comes the closest. I actually ate some of this past the first bite. And it wasn't bad. So I figure, if someone who doesn't like beets thought it was ok, someone who loves beets would find it fantastic. To you beet lovers out there, I'd recommend giving this recipe a shot.

Beet Ketchup*
Makes about 4 cups

1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced2 c. red wine vinegar
1 c. sugar
3 c. cooked beets

Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes. Use a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. (I used the immersion blender, which I actually wouldn't recommend - it took a really long time - the upright blender or a large food processor is probably your best option).
*The base recipe is from Fresh
. My twists were to roast the beets before making the ketchup and I also substituted muscavado sugar for white sugar. I will repeat both of these changes if I make this again.

We dipped sweet potato fries into our beet ketchup. And we'll be doing more with it, as there is still plenty left and I've been told it will last in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a month. What will you do with yours?

1 comment:

  1. So acai berry juice has become the hottest superfood juice in town. You can't really blame it when it can reduce weight, cure cancer, heal diabetes and protect skin, all at the same time, can you?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts