Wednesday, April 1, 2009

eggless chocolate chocolate cookies

Though they are eggless, these cookies are not vegan. I actually didn't even set out to make eggless cookies, but did so out of necessity when I realized there were no eggs in the house and was too lazy to walk the quarter of a mile to the grocery to pick some up. I'm glad I didn't. These cookies turned out amazing (if I do say so myself!). 



When I decided that I wanted to make cookies, I knew I wanted chocolate. When I realized I had no eggs, I did a quick scan of the fridge and pantry to see what else I might be able to throw in. The usual substitute would be mayonnaise (which is generally made of mostly eggs), however my eggless Vegannaise was not going to cut it. While I was checking on the mayo situation, I did notice that we had sour cream. I've had sour cream cake before, but never cookies. The chocolate sour cream combination sounded like something worth trying.

An internet search left me dissatisfied. Finding eggless cookie recipes was one thing. But eggless plus chocolate plus sour cream? There were a few, but none sounded real great (one called for two cups of confectioner's sugar! talk about sweet!). So I decided to experiment. This might possibly be my best experiment to date. Here's what I did:

Eggless Chocolate Chocolate Cookies
Makes about 3 dozen

2/3 c. butter, at room temperature*
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
3 Tbsp. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour**
3 Tbsp. baking cocoa***
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. bittersweet chocolate chips***

*Or nuked very briefly in the microwave if you're a poor planner like me.
**The slightly rougher texture (compared to refined flour) was perfect for this cookie.
***Don't skimp on the chocolate - use high quality for a tasty cookie. I used Green & Black's organic cocoa powder and Ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet large chocolate chips.

Cream together the butter and sugars. Mix in sour cream and vanilla. In a separate bowl, stir together dry ingredients (including chocolate chips). Add them to the wet and mix well.

Drop by small, rounded spoonfuls onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees.


Try not to eat them all in one sitting! (Though they're small, so you can eat quite a few and not feel too guilty!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts