Sunday, April 19, 2009

rice noodle salad



JR and I drove to the ocean yesterday. In addition to watching Romeo the pug frolic in the sand, this meant that we got to stop at one of the roadside stands and pick up some fresh produce (yay!). We came away with a mix of items from California (and a couple from Mexico): mangos, tomatoes, cucumber, garlic, yams, and some beautiful green beans. 

I know this sounds strange, but I was really hoping to find a cucumber (and was momentarily saddened when I learned that what I saw from a distance as I approached the stand and thought to be a cucumber was really a small zucchini, but then I saw the cucumbers and all was good). I needed one for the salad I'd been thinking about since I woke up in the morning to sunshine and 70 degrees. We ate it for dinner last night and it was the perfect end to a long day in the sunshine. Here's how it went:

Rice Noodle Salad
Serves 4

8 oz. thin rice noodles
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp. sesame oil
2 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. mirin
1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 small cucumber, sliced then halved
1 medium carrot, cut into small matchsticks
1/2 c. cilantro, roughly chopped
black sesame seeds

Heat water in a pot to boiling. Add the rice noodles, turn off the heat, and allow to soak for 10 minutes.

While the noodles are soaking, make the dressing by combining lime juice, sesame oil, honey, mirin, and rice vinegar. Set aside while you chop the veggies.

When the noodles are done cooking, drain under cool water.

In a large bowl, combine the cooled rice noodles with the veggies and dressing. Mix well. Serve in individual bowls topped with a sprinkling of black sesame seeds. 

I served this salad with tofu, sweet pea & portobello stir fry.

Note: this salad was even better on day #2 when we had the leftovers for lunch and the rice noodles soaked up more of the dressing. Make the salad a couple hours (or a day) ahead of time and keep in the fridge until ready to eat for full flavor!

Rice Noodle Salad on Foodista

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts