Thursday, August 13, 2009

tomato bruschetta topping



It's been a busy week and JR has been out of town, so I haven't really been cooking. But I did make some yummy things last weekend that I can catch you up on. One was this bruschetta topping. 

I think of bruschetta as an appetizer. I typically reserve appetizer preparation and consumption for when we have guests over (in other words, not when it's just JR and myself). But I had a bunch of basil and a number of tomatoes on hand (more will be coming - I have two pots of tomatoes growing along the side of the house and our neighbors upstairs have planted tomato plants in nearly every open space that are just starting to ripen!), so I decided that even though it was just the two of us, we'd eat bruschetta! Here's what I did:

Tomato Bruschetta Topping

1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
sundried tomatoes, finely chopped (optional; I didn't have any on hand, but if I had I would have thrown them it)
2 large cloves of garlic
lots of fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl. Allow to sit for about 30 minutes for all of the flavors to come out. Use as topping on bruschetta or a baguette.

1 comment:

  1. I am making this tomorrow! It sounds so good. Especially with some nice toasted french bread.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts