Friday, March 6, 2009

meat and mushrooms

Tonight, I want to eat meat. Having been a vegetarian for 10 years (though not any longer), it still feels a little strange to say that. But I've been dreaming about it all day. It started when I was thinking about the produce in our fridge that we need to try to consume before we go out of town this weekend... mushrooms, kale, sweet pea greens, fennel, potatoes.... After thinking about it, I realized that I'm not going to be able to use it all in a single meal (at least not a cohesive one). But some of it will stay until Sunday when we get back.

I'm picky about mushrooms. As a child, I hated them. But as I've grown, I've learned that I like them in increasing situations. Still, I sometimes have problems being inspired by them (by which I mean, sometimes I can't figure out anything to cook with them that I want to eat). But the white button mushrooms from the CSA box this week look really beautiful. I have to do something good with them.

Then, it hit me. Driving in the car. I realized it: I wanted meat; I wanted mushrooms. Also, my bonus paycheck hit our checking account today, which made me feel like buying something extravagant. Somehow, that brought clarity: fillet mignon with mushroom sauce. Perfect. Here's what I did:

Fillet Mignon with Mushroom Sauce
Olive oil
2 fillet steaks
sea salt & cracked black pepper
1 shallot, thinly sliced
20 button mushrooms, halved
2 Tbsp. sherry
3/4 c. mushroom stock
1/4 c. cream

Brush both sides of meat with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat a frying pan over high heat. Add fillet steaks. Cook for about 4 minutes per side, or until desired doneness. Place on a plate in a 300 degree oven to keep warm.

Add about 2 Tbsp. olive oil to frying pan. Add shallot and mushroom. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Set aside.

Add sherry and stock to the pan. Boil 6-8 minutes, until reduced by half. Add cream, mushrooms, and shallots. Cook until heated through. Spoon over steaks and serve.

We had our fillets with sides of roasted potatoes and garlicky kale. A perfect Friday feast!

1 comment:

  1. This was great. I loved and enjoyed the meat on the more rare side of things. I think I am in love with Kale...what a tasty treat!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts