Monday, March 16, 2009

tomatillo salsa verde

In honor of St. Patrick's Day tomorrow, I am making green salsa. I randomly picked up a can of tomatillos on my last trip to the grocery store. I wasn't sure exactly what I would do with them, but figured I find something eventually. It turned out that my need for them came sooner than I had anticipated - I used the ones I initially bought last night to accompany our fish tacos. It turned out super tasty. So I decided I'd make it again for the green potluck at Dave & Ashley's tomorrow night.

What is a tomatillo? I didn't know either, so I did a little research. Tomatillos were originally domesticated by the Aztecs in 800 BC. They are related to tomatoes (in Mexico, they are known as green tomatoes - "tomate verde") and, like tomatoes, are part of the nightshade family. They grow within a papery husk and have a tart, tangy, almost lemon-like flavor. They are the prime ingredient in many Latin American green sauces.

Speaking of green sauces, here's how this one goes:

Tomatillo Salsa Verde
Makes about 2 cups

12 oz. canned whole tomatillos
2 oz. canned diced jalepenos
1/2 c. onion, roughly chopped
1/4 c. cilantro, roughly chopped
1 large clove garlic, sliced
2 Tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. agave nectar (or substitute sugar)
salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in food processor. Process until finely chopped and well mixed.

Did I mention that this recipe is super easy? I hope it will be a crowd pleaser!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cole! This is Marie from the party last night. I just wanted to say that your salsa verde was fabulous and your blog is beautiful! Take care and hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts