Sunday, October 18, 2009

macadamia crusted halibut



Let's have something good for dinner
was JR's suggestion yesterday. Perhaps I should have taken offense at this. But I think what he meant is that, between the extremes of being sick and being go-go-go with houseguests and weekend trips for the past few weeks, it's been awhile since we just relaxed and had a nice meal at home. Time to remedy that.

I've had a leek in the fridge longer than I care to admit. In consulting my current favorite cookbook earlier in the week, I had come across a recipe for roasted garlic mashed potatoes with leeks. It sounded to me like the perfect balance - using up an old veggie in a dish that was more involved than something I might make on a typical night (thereby meeting JR's "good" criteria). That recipe will follow soon. Today, I'm sharing the fish that I made to go with it.

I'm typically a salmon girl. I get a steak of it almost every weekend at the farmers' market and if I had to pick one item from the sea as my favorite, it would be salmon for sure. Perhaps because of this, salmon seemed to regular for this particular meal. I honestly don't know why my mind landed on macadamia crusted halibut, but once it did, I knew that's what I had to make. Rather than consult recipes as I normally would, I decided to tackle this one on my own. The following preparation is simple, easy, and yields an entree tasty enough for a special dinner. We enjoyed ours while watching the DVR'd finale of Hells Kitchen. The perfect Saturday evening!

Macadamia Crusted Halibut
Serves 2

1/2 pound halibut filet, cut into 2 pieces
1/2 c. flour
1 egg
1/2 c. macadamia nuts, finely chopped

Rinse halibut and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Spread flour and macadamia nuts (separately) on two small plates. Whisk egg in a medium bowl. Dredge first piece of halibut in flour to cover both sides, then in egg, and finally, in macadamia nuts, pressing to ensure coverage on both sides. Repeat with second halibut piece.

Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add halibut. Cook until golden (about 4 minutes per side).

I served the halibut over a bed of roasted garlic mashed potatoes with leeks (recipe coming soon) and garlicky kale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts