Monday, October 26, 2009

roasted pumpkin penne



I've had a pumpkin sitting on my counter since last week's CSA delivery. I'd been planning on turning it into soup, until Facebook convinced me otherwise. Or rather, until I saw an update from Jennifer raving about the pumpkin pasta she'd made the night before. It's crazy the things one can learn on Facebook. How did we keep up before?

Anyway, Jennifer sent me the link to the recipe she used, which incorporated canned pumpkin in a creamy sauce. That was all the inspiration I needed. My soup plans flew out the window as I decided what my version of pumpkin pasta would contain. Here's where I landed:

Roasted Pumpkin Penne
Serves 3-4

olive oil
1 pumpkin
8 oz. whole wheat penne
2 Tbsp. fresh sage leaves, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 c. walnuts, chopped and toasted
marscapone

To roast pumpkin:
Peel and seed the pumpkin. Cut into 1" pieces. Toss pumpkin pieces with a generous splash of olive oil and a couple pinches of sea salt. Arrange in a single layer in a baking dish. Roast in 375 degree oven for about an hour, or until brown and caramelized, flipping a few times along the way.

Cook pasta as directed. In a large pan, heat about 4 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Add sage and fry until crispy. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sage to paper towel, leaving oil in pan.

Add garlic and red pepper flakes to oil. Cook 2 minutes. Add pasta and pumpkin and toss to coat. Serve topped with fried sage, toasted walnuts, and a dallop of marscapone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts