Tuesday, February 10, 2009

a little fish

No, I'm not a vegetarian. Yes, I've been posting for nearly 2 months and this is the first time you've seen a "meat" recipe from me (assuming you count fish as meat - for the record, I do). 

Currently, I don't eat a lot of meat. I say currently because there have been periods in my life of vastly varying meat consumption (from the vegan experiment - more on that later, to a period of time in Texas where meals without some sort of pulled meat are nearly unheard of).

So while the majority of my meals (and thus, the recipes on this site) are plant-based, every once in awhile there will be some animal protein on the menu. Tonight is one of those nights.

Seared ahi is the easiest fish recipe I'm aware of. Because the ingredients are few and simple, it's important that they be of high quality (especially the tuna).

Seared Ahi Tuna

olive oil
2 small ahi tuna steaks
sesame seeds

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat until hot (but not smoking). Spread sesame seeds on a shallow plate (I use both black and white because I like how it looks). Set the ahi onto the plate of sesame seeds, pressing lightly so the seeds will stick. Flip over to coat the second side.

Once the oil is hot, add the tuna to the skillet. Watch carefully to cook desired amount - you should be able to see the fish start to cook from the bottom up. Flip and sear other side. Viola!

We paired ours with a sesame veggie stir fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts