Wednesday, October 6, 2010

prosciutto-wrapped figs



The figs this year have been amazing: giant, beautiful Turkish figs, intensely flavorful mission figs.

Tip: they are even better wrapped in proscuitto.

I am taking an Italian class Tuesday evenings at Stanford, in anticipation of a trip to Italy in the Spring to visit my brother, who will be studying in Bologna. My professor's name is Giovanni. Because the class is focused on basic Italian for travelers (and perhaps because it runs through dinnertime), a decent amount of our conversation tends to be focused on cibo, food. At least twice per class, Giovanni reminds us: Prosciutto e melone? No, no. Prosciutto e fichi. Prosciutto e fichi sono deliziosi.

So perhaps it was due to Giovanni's inspiration that I had prosciutto and figs on my mind when I was planning our dinner party last weekend. I found this combination to be perfectly balanced: salty against sweet, the crispy prosciutto di Parma offset by the soft flesh of the fig. Meravigliosa!

Prosciutto-Wrapped Figs
40 appetizers

20 mission figs
2 oz. goat cheese
1/3 lb. thinly sliced prosciutto
honey

Preheat broiler.

Remove stem from fig. Slice in half. Top each half with a dallop of goat cheese. Wrap with prosciutto. Place prosciutto-wrapped figs on baking tray.

Broil for about 2 minutes, until prosciutto begins to crisp and cheese begins to melt. Transfer to serving tray. Drizzle with honey. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love these! The sweet-salty-creamy is great. I usually drizzle mine with a bit of balsamic, and they're great on salad greens too. Mmm, fall!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts