Saturday, October 23, 2010

perfect easy hard boiled eggs


I got up this morning and immediately began thinking about food. I started perusing recipes online and imagining things to make. Between busy work and weekend obligations of late, it's been some time since I've been able to do this. I'm currently on a bit of a break - I'm in the northwest for 10 days, spending time with my mother. Time that will include cooking.

My online searching was focused on dinner ideas. But then I started thinking about an earlier meal: lunch. I have plans to visit the grocery store this afternoon, so scanned the fridge and cupboards for ingredients to make something tasty prior to that trip.

The eggs in the fridge called out to me. I love egg salad sandwiches, but very rarely think to make them. Decision made.

Actual recipes and recounts of my adventures in my mother's Poulsbo kitch should follow in the next week. But in the meantime, here's an easy, step by step guide to perfect hard boiled eggs.

Perfect, Easy Hard Boiled Eggs

1. Place eggs in a single layer in the bottom of a large pan.
2. Cover with water (water level should be 1 inch higher than eggs).*
3. Heat pot on high to a rapid boil.
4. Turn off heat; allow eggs to sit in hot water for 15 minutes.
5. Drain and rinse under cool water. Allow to cool. Your eggs are ready to enjoy!
*Some would add vinegar or salt at this step to help prevent cracking, but I've never had any cracking issues so I don't do this.

I turned my hardboiled eggs into egg salad by mashing the peeled eggs together with mayonnaise, mustard, white vinegar, tarragon, and white pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts