Thursday, September 9, 2010

walnut pesto tomatoes and green beans



It is the middle of week #4 of my 4-week cleanse. That's 4 weeks of no sugar, wheat, dairy, or meat. I am feeling fantastic: sleeping better, waking up with more energy, and just feeling generally really fit.

Vegetables continue to be a staple of my diet, although I am eating relatively less of them than last week. Or at least fewer that are raw. Weeks #2 and #3 called for 70% raw fruits and veggies. For this final week, I'm down to 50% raw fruits and vegetables.

This dish combines raw and cooked veggies. I thought it might be a little strange, but ended up being really tasty. Here's what I did:

Walnut Pesto Tomatoes & Green Beans
Serves 2

1 clove garlic, sliced
1/2 c. basil leaves, packed
1/4 c. walnuts
3-4 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 large handful green beans, trimmed

Combine garlic, basil, walnuts, and 2 Tbsp. olive oil in food processor. Process into a thick paste, adding more olive oil if needed to reach desired consistency.

Lightly steam green beans until bright green. Rinse under cool water and divide between two plates. Mix tomatoes with pesto. Top green beans with tomatoes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts