Sunday, August 29, 2010

vegetable salsa


The bounty I returned home with from the farmers' market today included a bunch of beautiful tomatoes. While playing in the garden in the afternoon, I realized I also had a bunch of beautiful tomatoes ready to be picked from my tomato plant.

One tomato harvest, a walk through the around the block to forage a lime from a neighbor's tree (thanks, JR!) and lots of chopping later, I have transformed my beautiful tomatoes (a mix of those from the market and my own) into a beautiful salsa.

I am planning to turn this salsa into our meal this evening by serving it on beans & rice and topping it with sliced avocado. Speaking of which, I'm getting hungry...

Vegetable Salsa
Makes about 4 cups

2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. onion, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded & minced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
kernels from 1 ear of corn (cooked)
2-3 c. tomatoes, finely diced
1/2 c. cilantro, chopped
juice of 1 lime
1 tsp. olive oil*
1/2 tsp. cumin
sea salt & white pepper to taste
*Olive oil increases the absorption of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant found in tomatoes.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes before eating to allow flavors to meld. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts