Sunday, August 15, 2010

eggplant curry



I think I may have mentioned that I spent my morning run on Sunday planning the evening's meal in my head. This is where I landed.

It started with eggplant (specifically, the 3/4 of the eggplant that remained upon my return from Seattle - the missing quarter had been incorporated into a pasta dish - props to JR for being "adventurous" in his cooking!). I knew I wanted to go in a "something with rice" direction. When I started thinking through the produce in my kitchen (onions, tomatoes, mushrooms), curry seemed like the unifying force that would pull it all together. I also threw in some garbanzo beans for good measure. The result was a flavor-packed, healthy dish that came together relatively quickly and will provide sustenance for a couple of days. Here's what I did:

Eggplant Curry
Serves 4

2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
2 Tbsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 yellow onion, sliced into thin strips
1 small eggplant (or 3/4 of medium eggplant!), chopped into 1/2" cubes
1 c. small mushrooms, halved
1 tomato, chopped
1 16-oz. can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 c. coconut milk
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
2-3 c. prepared rice

Mix garlic, ginger, curry powder, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.

Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook the onion and eggplant until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic mixture. Stir and cook 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add tomato, garbanzo beans, and coconut milk. Stir well. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Serve over rice topped with cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts