Sunday, April 18, 2010

sage & olive oil bread


When Marika and I were browsing at the kitchen store yesterday, a book caught my eye. Small and unassuming, the title was simply "quick breads". I love homemade bread, but it can get pretty involved with all of the waiting and kneading (much too involved for someone who is working long days and in the middle of multiple house projects, or at least that's what I've been telling myself). I was intrigued by the idea of easy, fast homemade bread.

I started flipping through the book, quickly realizing that it would need to come home with me. I was pretty much sold on the very first recipe: Tuscan fresh sage and olive oil bread. The cursory scan through the rest of the book revealed more must-make recipes, including molasses oatmeal loaf, pumpernickel and fig loaf, cracked pepper naan, and old-fashioned blueberry gingerbread.

The sage and olive oil bread is baking in the oven as I write this. This may sound funny, but when I woke up this morning, making it was the first thing I wanted to do. I'm already looking forward to having some slathered with butter along with my coffee once it's done baking (perhaps that will be the picture that will accompany this post?). Here's what I did:

Sage & Olive Oil Bread
Makes 1 medium loaf

3 c. all purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
2 tsp. fresh sage leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 large eggs
3 Tbsp. olive oil
about 1 c. milk*
*The original recipe calls for 3/4 c. of "not fat-free" milk. I don't typically have cow's milk on hand, so substituted soy milk, which worked fine. I found I had to use about 1 1/4 c. to get the sticky dough called for.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil.

Mix flour, baking powder, sage, and sea salt in a large bowl.

In a separate small bowl, beat eggs together with olive oil and milk.

Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix with a wooden spoon. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky (add more milk if needed).

Flour your hands and form dough into a ball about 7 inches across. Place on greased baking sheet. Score the top with a knife. Bake 45 minutes, until golden and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped underneath with your knuckles.

Transfer to wire rack until cool enough to slice. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. made this today. It reminds me of an Irish bread. I was very excited to use the fresh sage from my garden. Love yours btw.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts