Friday, January 15, 2010

leek and potato soup



No, not "potato leek soup", but rather "leek and potato soup". Why? Because that is how Julia Child wrote it, and because Mastering the Art of French Cooking is the source of this dish.

As was the case with Momofuku, I'm easing into Mastering the Art of French Cooking by starting with a non-intimidating recipe. Whereas I had originally thought it would be quite difficult to determine where to begin with this monstrous cookbook (it's nearly 700 pages!), it turned out to be an easy choice, since we had both leeks and potatoes on hand from our latest CSA delivery. A hot, classic soup in the middle of winter sounds like just the right way to begin channeling Julia Child.

The original recipe said it would serve 4-6. I cut it in half (which was more than JR and I could eat). The amounts below reflect my adjustments of the amounts. Here's how it goes:

Leek and Potato Soup
Serves 3-4

2 c. peeled potatoes, sliced
1 1/2 c. thinly sliced leeks, including tender greens
1 qt. water (about 4 cups)
1 tsp. salt
2-3 Tbsp. whipping cream
1-2 Tbsp. minced chives

Simmer vegetables, salt, and water in a partially covered medium soup pot 40-50 minutes, until vegetables are tender. At this point, the recipe says to mash the vegetables in the soup with a fork, or pass the soup through a food mill. I used my immersion blender instead.

Taste and "correct seasoning".

Off heat just before serving, stir in cream. Pour into soup cups and "decorate with herbs". Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Just made this myself! Am trying to think of ways to make it a more substantial meal, though... advice welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathryn,

    I've been thinking of other things to add to the soup, but I think the simplicity of ingredients is one of the things that makes it special. Maybe instead try pairing it with a salad and some rustic bread?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts