Tuesday, May 12, 2009

my first-rhubarb-of-spring muffins



I've been posting for so many days with recipes from our dinner party a couple of weekends ago that I've accumulated a small stack of notes on recipes and pictures of other items I've made over the past week or so. Seeing this picture makes me wish I could eat a rhubarb muffin, but alas, they were all eaten days ago!

When a few stalks of rhubarb showed up in the CSA box, I poked around the internet for ideas on what to do with them. I quickly realized why the only rhubarb I've eaten before has been in the form of a pie: nearly every recipe featuring rhubarb pairs it with flour, sugar and butter (pies, breads, muffins). I decided to follow suit and turn my rhubarb into rhubarb muffins.

For the following recipe, I took bits and pieces from a few different recipes I found, making substitutions based on what I thought would taste good and really just experimenting. I thought they turned out really well. Here's what I did: 

 

Cole's First-Rhubarb-of-Spring Muffins
Makes 10 muffins

1/2 c. greek yogurt
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 egg
1 1/3 c. whole wheat flour
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. rhubarb, diced
1/2 c. walnuts, chopped

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tray with paper liners. Mix wet ingredients (yogurt through egg) in a medium bowl. Mix dry ingredients (flour through salt) in another. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until just blended. Fold in rhubarb and walnuts. Bake 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts