Monday, May 31, 2010

snickerdoodles



I sometimes wonder whether this blog should be called "Vegetables & Dessert" or something along those lines, given that the majority of what I make falls into one of those categories (perhaps "Kale & Cookies"???).

My post today falls squarely into the latter category.

Oftentimes, I try to make my desserts "healthy" (or at least, healthier) by substituting whole wheat flours, alternative sweeteners, and the like. But sometimes, only the original recipe will do. That was the case yesterday, when I was trying to figure out something sweet to make for our weekend BBQ. Alan, Chris, and 1-year-old baby Paarl trekked over from the East Bay to spend a sunny afternoon with us. I had a busy morning and was trying to think of something that would come together quickly.

Enter snickerdoodles. The recipe is from my grandma Francis' cookbook. I've made snickerdoodles according to this recipe many (many) times and they always seem to turn out perfectly. I had all of the ingredients on hand, so was able to make the dough in the morning and let it chill while I ran to the grocery store and knocked out a couple of other errands. Here's how it goes:

Snickerdoodles
Makes about 4 dozen cookies

1 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar + 2 Tbsp. for rolling
2 eggs
2 3/4 c. flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon

Cream shortening. Add sugar and eggs; beat until light and fluffy. Stir in dry ingredients (except additional sugar and cinnamon). Chill dough 2 hours.

Combine 2 Tbsp. sugar with 2 tsp. cinnamon in a small bowl. Roll dough into balls the size of walnuts. Roll each ball in the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Place two inches apart on baking sheet. Bake 400 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts