Wednesday, March 10, 2010

skillet poached huevos rancheros


I've been intrigued by poached eggs lately.

I think it started with the Momofuku cookbook, where there are two pages dedicated to the slow-poached egg story and recipe, which I haven't yet attempted to replicate. Then, this past weekend, a small soft poached egg with lobster was one of my favorite courses at The French Laundry.

I've only made a poached egg once that I can recall. I do remember eating many as a child - my mom used to make them in the funny shaped pan and we'd eat them on toast. There is something lovely about the white, jelly-like shell encasing a gooey orange center; I can't believe I let myself forget about poached eggs for so long.

This past Sunday, when I was figuring out what we'd eat for the week, I consulted a file folder where I keep notes of recipes I'd like to try. One in particular called out to me, likely due to the poached egg. The original recipe is from January 2010 Real Simple (torn from the magazine at my mom's house); I adjusted some of the ingredients and amounts in the version below.

Skillet Poached Huevos Rancheros
Serves 2

1 15 oz. can pinto beans, rinsed
1 c. salsa
2 large eggs
kosher salt and black pepper
2 scallions, sliced
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
2 small flour tortillas, warmed
sour cream and avocado slices, to serve

In a medium skillet, combine salsa and beans and bring to a simmer over medium heat.

Make 2 wells in the bean mixture. One at a time, crack each egg into a small bowl and slide it gently into a well. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, covered, over medium heat, 3 to 5 minutes for slightly runny yolks.

Sprinkle with scallions and cilantro. Divide among plates and serve with tortillas, sour cream, and avocado slices.

2 comments:

  1. These eggs look so flavorful and delicious...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a timely post! I just got back from Mexico, where I had huevos rancheros that *melted my brain*. They were using fried eggs, but poached sounds even better.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts