Friday, September 4, 2009

pineapple fried rice



I've always loved fried rice. The version at the Chinese restaurant local to where I grew up included barbequed pork that tinted all of the rice pink. In college, I used to make it with tiny frozen shrimp, frozen green peas, and the fried rice seasoning packet that you would find in the grocery along with the packets for gravy and fajita seasoning. Though my tastes have moved on from barbequed pork and mystery seasoning that comes in a packet, my affinity for fried rice continues.

This one is filled with fresh ingredients that rivals the takeout we get from the Thai restaurant in our neighborhood. Bonus - it only takes a single pan (or wok) for easy clean up. Once the rice is cooked, the rest of the meal comes together in under 20 minutes. Healthy and efficient!

Pineapple Fried Rice
Serves 4

3 cloves garlic, mined
1 Tbsp. ginger, minced
1/2 tsp. Chinese chili paste
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 scallions sliced (including greens)
1 bell pepper (I had tiny ones from the CSA box, so I used 3: red, green, and orange)
4 oz. tofu, cubed (I used sesame baked tofu)
3 c. brown rice, cooked
8 oz. pineapple chunks

Heat oil in a large wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, and chili paste. Stir fry 1 minute. Add onions, bell pepper, and tofu and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add rice and pineapple and cook until heated through. Top with additional scallions, if desired.

We enjoyed our fried rice along with veggie spring rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts