Monday, July 6, 2009

pasta with walnut pesto and tomatoes



A bunch of basil has become a weekly standard in the
CSA box. It's also growing like crazy in a pot on my front porch. I'm not complaining - this means one of my weekend activities of late has become making pesto, which I love. To my surprise, I've found that I like it even better with walnuts instead of pine nuts and no parmesan. This tasty pesto plus some pasta and other veggies makes a satisfying and beautiful, simple meal. Here's how it goes:

Pasta with Walnut Pesto and Tomatoes
Serves 2

6 oz. pasta, cooked al dente (make this dish gluten free with rice pasta)
1/4 - 1/2 c. walnut pesto*
2 medium heirloom tomatoes, cut into pieces
* My original post is for spinach walnut pesto - use 2 cups basil and omit the spinach for a more traditional taste.

Drain the cooked pasta and return to pan. Add pesto and tomatoes and stir until combined. That's it! If you make the pesto ahead, this meal comes together in the 10 minutes or so it takes to cook the pasta. The perfect weeknight meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popular Posts